Dealing with Uncertainty through Spirituality
By Sr. Nicole Grochowina
- What is the ground of uncertainty – from a religious point of view? Here, views of the German sociologist Hartmut Rosa offer some suggestions which open the door for considering the gifts of religion to find unique ways of dealing with uncertainty.
- Turing uncertainty into certain decisions: What do religious processes of decision making and even discernment look like? Here, dealing with Ignatius of Loyola (founder of the Jesuits) will provide some answers.
- Help or obstacle: Which role does community play when it comes to dealing with uncertainty? Here, considering the relationship between the individual and the common search for sense share insights coming from monastic theology.
- Hints for the “inner person”: How does qualitative silence and silent prayers help to endure and understand uncertainty and the question lying beneath it? Of course, here, analytical thinking requires additional practical experiments.
Dealing with Uncertainty
of Visual Perception
By Jan Morovic
- Our senses do not give us access to their source, and they are no basis for understanding whether we live in a material world. Stepping out of our own senses is impossible.
- Devising ways to make measurements and comparing our experiences of such measurements with our direct experiences shows that the two relate in a variety of ways, from the simple and direct to the very complex and indirect.
- My sensory experiences are not the same as those of another and that there is a continuum of differences from small to large. Inferring what another experience is therefore not consistently possible based on my own senses.
- The words I use to describe a given experience may not be the same that another would use to describe that same experience, and, that conversely, I and another may use the same words to describe different experiences.
Dealing with Uncertainty
through Moving to Music
By Ernst Thöni
In spite of carefully didactic and methodical teaching, insecurities will arise: Discomfort with the dance steps, with one's own body, with being overchallenged or underchallenged, or at most with tensions in the group. It is important for me to give these uncertainties space and to discuss them. Disturbances take precedence, most ominously when they are not named and discussed.
Above all, it is about creating trust in oneself and in one's fellow dancers. The awareness that I am leading and accompanying the group or dance partner in joint movement, but at the same time being led and accompanied, creates this feeling of happiness, joy and security in the circle, in the community.
Dealing with Uncertainty in Nature Education
By Monika Dillier
- The biological aspect
- How do I experience the landscape, the place?
- What aspects of insecurity can be observed in plants, animals?
- How do they protect themselves? What is visible?
- How do they deal with injuries?
- The aspect of time and insecurity, living and dying, being born - what do we observe?
You look for your personal place in the environment where you feel safe. You take time to reflect why you have chosen this place, why you have not chosen another place. You have the opportunity to reflect on where in your life you experience safety or insecurity and what this has to do with your place. You make a small documentation of this place for the time after the Summer Academy. The general question is: What can you deduce from your observations for your personal life, what gives you security?
The spiritual aspect
How can I move respectfully in nature? Where do I destroy something without wanting to? How do we deal with this dilemma? Or is it not a dilemma?
Dealing with Uncertainty in Ecology
By Luca Fiorani
- Research on ecological keywords/variables, with special attention to uncertainty in their definition/evaluation.
- Peace is green: global warming generates social uncertainty that eventually results in armed conflicts.
- Religions and ecology: faith-based approaches are uncertain by definition, but could help care for our common home.
- Preliminary study to make the "Spes Center" more sustainable: although the global energy market is particularly uncertain, energy efficiency and renewable resources could help the facility hosting Summer Academy 2023.
Dealing with Uncertainty through Performing on Stage
By Alessandra Pasquali & Andriana Martins
The achievement of at least three objectives:
- learning to SHARE THE SPACE (a space where no one is judged).
- recognizing THE IMPORTANCE OF THE OTHERS WITH WHOM I SHARE THE SPACE.
- knowing how to manage CLEAR AND DIRECT COMMUNICATION.
Dealing with Uncertainty in Culture
By Silvester Gaberscek
In the workshop, we are going to discuss following topics:
- Content of culture
- Relationship between culture and art
- Analysis of the Pope Francis’ speech about culture and science (in Budapest)